Guys, I don't want to be indelicate, but...
My ass hurts.
Oh my god, does my ass hurt.
I went to spinning last night. Because I'm a glutton for punishment. Spinning was hard. At first, I had a hard time standing up on the bike during the "stand up and push!" portions. But halfway through the class, my bottom was BEGGING me to stand up. And this morning I feel like... well, there's no simile that describes how my butt feels that isn't obscene, so suffice to say that I hurt. And I hurt all the way through bootcamp this morning.
So let's talk about something other than my butt, but still related to exercise: music. I work out at two different gyms - there's one close to my house, but older, and one a little further away and newer. The newer one has personal TVs on most of the equipment, and I really enjoy doing an hour on the elliptical while watching Paula Deen's show on Food Network (oh, the irony). But when I'm at the older gym, I tend to listen to music on my iPhone. I have a few very favorite songs to work out to:
1. Bad Romance, Lady Gaga - This song alwaysalwaysalways gets me going from the very first notes. It's got a great beat and helps me to set my pace with whatever I'm doing.
2. Bouncing Off Clouds, Tori Amos - I'm a huge Tori Amos fan (I've seen her in concert at least half a dozen times) and I love how this song couples a fast beat with such sad lyrics. I don't always want to work out to shinyhappymusic, you know?
3. Get Some, Lykke Li - You may recognize this song from a Lexus commercial. I love this whole album, but this song is really fun and empowering.
4. Hard, Rihanna - Whenever I need to power through something (like the last five minutes of a really intense workout session) this is what I put on.
5. In My Pocket, Mandy Moore - What can I say - they can't all be Serious Songs. This is a total guilty pleasure!
6. Karma, Alicia Keys - This song is neither too slow nor too intense - it's like the goldilocks of workout songs.
7. Mean, Taylor Swift - I'd like to dedicate this to all of the jerks who made fun of me in 6th grade. I rule, you drool.
8. Part of Me, Katy Perry - Almost against my will, I think you have to have a Katy Perry song or two on your workout playlist, right?
9. Teenage Hustling, Tori Amos - I love any song that contains the word "skankin'." How can you not?
10. Love Is Blindness, Jack White - This is a cover of one of my favorite U2 songs. My love for U2 cannot be understated - I've seen them in concert 5 times in four different states. But this version has such a nasty, dirty vibe to it and a great beat that makes it ideal for working out.
So those are my favorite workout tunes. What are some of yours?