1. I don't like to get political on this blog. That said, I'm going to, so I'm warning you in advance. Please feel free to skip this number if you like - no hard feelings...
I live in Texas. I'm in a same-sex marriage, though Texas does not recognize it (we were married in D.C.).
My neighbor has a Chick-Fil-A bag taped to the antenna of his truck.
I don't care if you eat at Chick-Fil-A. I honestly don't. My ex-bff used to work in their corporate headquarters, so I've known all about their beliefs and business practices for years (and I used to have access to (and take advantage of) an unlimited supply of spicy chicken sandwiches). I support a privately-held company's right to do whatever they please and promote whatever they want. I'm a card-carrying member of the ACLU, for crying outloud - free speech for everyone, even if I don't personally agree with you. Even if the things you say with your free speech are hateful and bigoted. You still have a right to say them. And I'll be the first to admit that Chick-Fil-A is super tasty. I don't take any issue with Chick-Fil-A as a company, with the Cathy family or with anyone who eats there.
I have a problem with the Chick-Fil-A bag taped to my neighbor's truck antenna. To me, it says way more than "I support a company's right to its own business practices." To me, it says, "I hate gays."
Even then, I don't really care. Again, free speech. I don't care if you hate puppies, kittens and sad-eyed bunnies. I'll fight for your right to say whatever you want. No, the thing that bothers me about the Chick-Fil-A bag taped to my neighbor's antenna is that I don't feel like I have the freedom to say something back. I know I have my own right to free speech, and I know that I could just as easily put a rainbow flag up next to my mailbox to show that not everyone on my street, in my town, in this godforsaken state, agrees with him.
But just having a right to do so isn't enough. Putting up that flag, even though my right to do so is protected by the US Constitution, could subject me and my family to a heaping helping of hate and violence. It could get my house vandalized. It could endanger my pets, my belongings, my wife and me.
But him taping that Chick-Fil-A bag to his car antenna, that subjects him to nothing. That doesn't endanger him. He can show off his bigotry and stupidity and hatred and the consequences don't terrify him. Nothing will happen to him. There's no need for him to fear.
I can't even hold my wife's hand as we walk down the street. I have a lot of fear.
And that's what bothers me. He can say, "I hate you and everything you stand for," and I remain silent out of fear.
2. That was heavy. Let's lighten it up, okay?
I broke a nail in the shower this morning and spent the next five minutes trying to untangle the broken nail from my hair. Lovely!
3. I'm *so* looking forward to going to Vegas. I need a vacation. A vacation that involves slot machines and limo rides, yesssss.
4. What are your favorite non-carbonated (preferably low-calorie) cocktails? I'm not a drinker, except in Las Vegas. I used to be a vodka tonic or vodka soda drinker. I'm thinking about switching to vodka water and just bringing along a couple of Mios to squirt in for flavor.
5. My thighs hurt. A lot. Two-a-days are kicking my ass. Yesterday at bootcamp we did a bunch of team relays and then a bunch of "ladder" upper body exercises. I die.
6. The pool is (I think) almost fixed. Maybe I'll get to use it before the summer ends. Argh.
7. My parents live back east. I'm an only child. Last year, I went home for Thanksgiving and they drove (my father doesn't like to fly during the holidays) to Texas for Christmas. My mother says they're not coming here this year. I told her I'm not going back east twice, so they could pick one holiday. Is that wrong? I just don't feel like I should be the only one making the effort... Does that make me a bad person?
8. I feel like I sleep so much better these days. My wife says I don't snore anymore.
9. In my morning haze, I got a little too vigorous with my after-shower Q-Tip this morning. My ear hurts a bit now.
10. Is it Friday yet?